Unfortunately my mom passed away and i'm trying to empty her house so it can be sold. Is there someone in particular that you would recommend for making this easier?

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Eileen,

I have been clearing out and downsizing my own stuff so my kids don't have to do it when I pass so I will share with you what I have been doing.

If you have items that are in great shape and are valuable or collectible call an Auction House, I use Waddingtons in Toronto or Brighton.

Put up signs in grocery stores, banks, etc.

University students are trying to furnish their apartments, rooms etc without spending a lot of money, so advertise in campus papers, bulletin boards or with their rooming advisors.

Women's shelters and see if anybody could use free stuff to set up their new start in life.

Goodwill will pick up furniture. If it is baffed, send it to the dump.

Second hand stores love to get good finds. But they pay little.

Kijiji and Craig's list are good listing ideas but keep repeating the ad. It is free but after two or three days your add will be lost. Lots of folks are downsizing and lots are in the same spot you are in. By the same token, delete your ads once your stuff is gone. A good rule of thumb about the price, if no-one is responding, it is too high.

Most people are overpricing their stuff on the above two. If you just want it gone, advertise it for a bargain price or free.

Contact local churches in your area as well as schools. There are lots of families who are desperate for basic items but cannot afford to buy them. Churches and Principals know who need items.

Take good photos of the pieces for your ads. I have found some fantastic, high quality items in Kijiji but I won't waste my time looking at the ad if their are no photos. If there is a flaw, tear, scratch etc., do not be afraid to point it out.

Have a garage sale. They are fun and you meet lots of new people. Make sure everything is clean, grouped together, ie lamps with lamps, and the price visible. Everyone dickers over the price, so be prepared. That is part and parcel of a garage sale.

If worse comes to worse, put it on the side of the road with a FREE sign taped on it. If it is still there in a couple of days, put it out of it's misery and take it to a dump

.You will be surprised at how fast 'good stuff'will be removed from the curb.

Good luck,

Linda
The Sally Ann won't take it. It is really difficult to find places that will take bedroom suites etc.

My junk guys have the recycling philosophy. They told me that non-profit groups are very, very picky about what is acceptable. So a lot of stuff gets dumped instead of donated. Sad.

Junk guys charge about $400-500 a truck load. I've lost track of the number of trucks loads that have left this house.

Eileen Kerins said:
Thanks Rob, I know what you're going through. Don't you think the Salvation Army would take the organ. Are the junk guys expensive?

Rob said:
Hi Eileen, I am in the final stages of clearing out my mum's house (50 years of stuff and more stuff).

As I am now in a time crunch, I am keeping some personal papers and photos without going through each one. I have bought a number of plastic tubs to put them in. This saves some decision making which slows the whole process down.

I will rent a locker to keep these in until I have time to go through them. I will keep a couple of special furniture items.

I am trying to give away a beautiful organ. I'd hate to send this to the dump.

I have the junk guys come once a week to fill a truck.

Eileen, this has been a long hard process. Then I have to put the house up for sale.

Best wishes.
sounds good londa. thanks.

Linda Thomas-Stewart said:
Hi Eileen,

I have been clearing out and downsizing my own stuff so my kids don't have to do it when I pass so I will share with you what I have been doing.

If you have items that are in great shape and are valuable or collectible call an Auction House, I use Waddingtons in Toronto or Brighton.

Put up signs in grocery stores, banks, etc.

University students are trying to furnish their apartments, rooms etc without spending a lot of money, so advertise in campus papers, bulletin boards or with their rooming advisors.

Women's shelters and see if anybody could use free stuff to set up their new start in life.

Goodwill will pick up furniture. If it is baffed, send it to the dump.

Second hand stores love to get good finds. But they pay little.

Kijiji and Craig's list are good listing ideas but keep repeating the ad. It is free but after two or three days your add will be lost. Lots of folks are downsizing and lots are in the same spot you are in. By the same token, delete your ads once your stuff is gone. A good rule of thumb about the price, if no-one is responding, it is too high.

Most people are overpricing their stuff on the above two. If you just want it gone, advertise it for a bargain price or free.

Contact local churches in your area as well as schools. There are lots of families who are desperate for basic items but cannot afford to buy them. Churches and Principals know who need items.

Take good photos of the pieces for your ads. I have found some fantastic, high quality items in Kijiji but I won't waste my time looking at the ad if their are no photos. If there is a flaw, tear, scratch etc., do not be afraid to point it out.

Have a garage sale. They are fun and you meet lots of new people. Make sure everything is clean, grouped together, ie lamps with lamps, and the price visible. Everyone dickers over the price, so be prepared. That is part and parcel of a garage sale.

If worse comes to worse, put it on the side of the road with a FREE sign taped on it. If it is still there in a couple of days, put it out of it's misery and take it to a dump

.You will be surprised at how fast 'good stuff'will be removed from the curb.

Good luck,

Linda

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Community Activity

alexander Mollison commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
""ONE" wednesday' "
2 hours ago
"Ran out and got milk heard it was going to rain in morning so I am good to go. "
2 hours ago
Glady Dixon commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
"Lynne G   No time for Cuff to play on the streets !  lol You have a great evening too.  All others have a nice evening.  Will chat with you in the a.m.  :)"
3 hours ago
"Wednesdays pot kitties find the hidden "ONE" "
4 hours ago

© 2014   Part of the Zoomer Interactive Network.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

google-site-verification: googlef2bf84fe9dda65cb.html