Conrad Black is going back to prison.

Despite a personal appeal to judge Amy St. Eve, the Chicago court room determined that Black would have to serve an additional 13 months to the 29 months he has already served.

Even though he tried to express regret for trusting long-time business partner David Radler, the judge had no sympathy:

"I still scratch my head as to why you engaged in this conduct," Chicago Judge St. Eve said. "Good luck to you."

(via Globe & Mail)

Wife Barbara Amiel Black reportedly collapsed in her seat as the sentence was read.

Even though Black was optimistic about the legal proceedings regarding his fraud convinctions when he gave his talk at last week's ideacity — you can watch the full talk here — commentators have suggested that Black's failing was his own hubris:

As Black's unauthorised biographer, I have long wondered how someone who literally "had it all" could lose it all. In the late 1980s, media mogul and arch-rival Rupert Murdoch figured Black was a billionaire in dollar terms. Black is well known for his abrasive, belligerent and self-involved manner. He often gives the impression of living inside his own bubble, of remaining impervious to the world around him.

While behind bars from 2008 to 2010, he often referred to himself as a "guest" of the US government, someone who would never dream of committing a crime. He even claimed to be a public benefactor serving the cause of America's many downtrodden and unjustly convicted inmates. He repeated this Friday before Judge St Eve that he had been a "guest" of the US government.

(via The Guardian's George Tombs)

Worth noting is our own community's — in particular our Zoomers on Facebook members — take on Black's fate:

(via Zoomers on Facebook)

So what do we think of this latest sentence? Is Conrad Black a victim? Or has justice been truly served?

Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.

Tags: #ConradBlack, Amy St. Eve, Barbara Amiel Black, Chicago, Conrad Black, David Radler, Hollinger, fraud

Views: 544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Conrad Black stole approximately $56-million from the Dominion grocery store employees Pension Fund in 1984!  These are everyday hardworking people he stole from without any remorse from Black.  He has a criminal history of thief that goes a long ways back.

Damn right I am glad Conrad Black is back in jail, where he belongs and can rot for all I care.

He tries to play the legal system to his advantage constantly because he wrongly thinks he is untouchable; well finally he has been shown that the world does NOT revolve around him!!

To answer the question, no I don't care that an arrogant snob and convicted fraudster is sent back to jail (not that he was and or will be in a real jail, more like a vacation camp).

Nor do I care that he will be sent back to Great Britain, once his term is served, since he so publicly renounced his Canadian citizenship.

Do We Care?

OH YES. Very much. It is rumored that Tubby Black wants back his Canadian citizenship. Well, considering that this is a TWIT who began his career of swindling and larceny by breaking into professors' offices, filching exam questions and selling them to fellow students....WHO WANTS HIM? ( If Harpo welcomes him back to our country, what is our citizenship worth?)

The Buzz in Great Britain is that Tubby will not be allowed to enter the House of Lords to take his seat. But he may keep the title. Something for him to masturbate to.

Kathleen said:

You think that kind of comment is part of an adult conversation, grow up.

Black is no angel but in this case 17 charges have dwindled to one, even that one is suspect,  why would he swindle himself out of anything, he didn't need the money.  Why would he defraud his company of $600,000? He had no need for that money. The prosecutors used an old fashioned technique of whacking him with as many charges as possible in hopes of getting something to stick. Jurors usually don't understand this technique and draw the conclusion that when there are so many charges, he must have done something. Often they feel that they are being reasonable and fair in striking a compromise in convicting on some charges while acquitting on others. If you're innocent in this case, like Lord Black, even though he's a pompous ass,you're still screwed.

Let's not forget the obstruction charges. As the article points out, the prosecutors already had copies of everything in the boxes, and I would add, he wasn't under any order not to remove the files. They were his personal files and he had been ordered to vacate the office. What was he supposed to do with them?

You find me one former Hollinger shareholder who today believes that he/she is better off as a result of Conrad being pushed off the Board. His accusers took over the company and rapidly crashed it, losing all shareholder value.   What Black is being convicted of is simply, being Lord Black.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/trial+without+reason+sentence+with...

The article in today's National Post is a powerful indictment of US justice in the Black case.

Ya got that right, Kathleen. But you're wasting your time on this crew. They only believe the rumours and innuendo they see on the internet. After all; how dare Mr. Black have the nerve to be successful financially.

44 south

Let's not bring it down to the money thing.  Plenty of people have made a lot of money and are not hated.  Mel Hurtig is a millionaire.  Bill Gates is a gazillionaire.  But these people have learned to give back to the community.  They created an economy and jobs.  Bill Gates is one of those top 4% earners who got an extension on his 3% tax cut by Obama last year.  He dared to state that at that top 4%, people are so rich they wouldn't even be able to tell if an extra 3% came off their taxes.  You'd think that if it would help the U.S. economy, which is in such dire straits now, those 4% would volunteer those taxes.

But no, the U.S. can't be allowed to deprive the 4% of their 3%.  They are thinking of cutting medicare, destroying programs that will help the unemployed and mothers on welfare be trained for new jobs, nutritious food from school cafeterias - but no, don't tax Paris Hilton the price of another Ferrari!  This is when people hate the rich.  When they grow rich and then forget all the little people whose hard work makes it possible for them to be rich.

Conrad Black is not a wealthy man who gained his wealth by producing something useful.  He is a predator - the kind of financier who buys a company, guts it, then resells it at a higher price than what he paid for it.  Mitt Romney is that kind of "businessman" too.  He belongs to the class of people who think those who have less are there to be plucked and skinned.  He doesn't just want his fair share, he wants everyone else's share too.  Your turn would come up soon enough.  He screwed his own investors. Of that he has been found guilty and those lawsuits are still ongoing.

But he showed some class in prison, in offering to help other fellow prisoners.  If he learns from that experience he may realize that giving something graciously can make you lots more friends, and supporters when you need them, than making all the money in the world.  Don't know if that would work with Barbara Amiel though.  She was miffed that pension fund managers had the audacity to think they should have some say in how Wall Street operates. As if her aristocratic state was above people who took care of working people's retirement funds.

I am now waiting for Garth Drabinsky to get his just desserts.  Screwing investors is hardly a thing to ignore.

To Yvonne F.    Do you think that might be karma?
Do you think His Lordship might have done it for money and thought he could get away with it Kathleen?

Kathleen; How can you be SO deluded? Ask Tubby's ripped-off shareholders where their money went. Yes, of course prosecutors pile-on the charges. But that observation in no way leads to any logical conclusion that the accused must be innocent. Any ADULT can grasp that thought.

Read Tubby's autobiography - exact title evades me right now, but your librarian can locate it - in which he BOASTS about his little rip-off schemes in his early days. This is a person of low character. Boy, are you backing the wrong horse!
Kathleen said:

You think that kind of comment is part of an adult conversation, grow up.

Black is no angel but in this case 17 charges have dwindled to one, even that one is suspect,  why would he swindle himself out of anything, he didn't need the money.  Why would he defraud his company of $600,000? He had no need for that money. The prosecutors used an old fashioned technique of whacking him with as many charges as possible in hopes of getting something to stick. Jurors usually don't understand this technique and draw the conclusion that when there are so many charges, he must have done something. Often they feel that they are being reasonable and fair in striking a compromise in convicting on some charges while acquitting on others. If you're innocent in this case, like Lord Black, even though he's a pompous ass,you're still screwed.

Let's not forget the obstruction charges. As the article points out, the prosecutors already had copies of everything in the boxes, and I would add, he wasn't under any order not to remove the files. They were his personal files and he had been ordered to vacate the office. What was he supposed to do with them?

You find me one former Hollinger shareholder who today believes that he/she is better off as a result of Conrad being pushed off the Board. His accusers took over the company and rapidly crashed it, losing all shareholder value.   What Black is being convicted of is simply, being Lord Black.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/trial+without+reason+sentence+with...

The article in today's National Post is a powerful indictment of US justice in the Black case.

Really 44 south?    I like Oprah and I like Bill Gates and Demi Moore and Anderson Cooper and a host of other wealthy hardworking people who don't screw others.
In fact 44 south, the people I mentioned give back to their community and don't look to become richer by just constantly taking.

Krystyna:

RE: "Bill Gates Giving Back."

i don't count Gates as a "good guy."

His company, Microsoft, has always been registered in the infamous tax haven, Luxembourg. Microsoft Inc. HAS NEVER PAID ANY TAXES in America. Gates gets off way too easy with the American public. I've read several biographies about him, and, in character, he much resembles Tubby Black. He's actually a sneak -  and not above cheating or lying when he knows he can get away with it. And his products have always STUNK TO HIGH HEAVEN!

As for the Gates' charities: I guess they can afford it, and still scrape through somehow! The uber rich of America inhabit a world utterly unlike our own crabbed, workaday world.

It's my opinion that any "ordinary" citizen can't ever really KNOW about these gazillionaires. Oprah. Gates, etc. They are un-knowable to us. I DO wish people would quit it with Oprah-worship!

Krystyna said:

Let's not bring it down to the money thing.  Plenty of people have made a lot of money and are not hated.  Mel Hurtig is a millionaire.  Bill Gates is a gazillionaire.  But these people have learned to give back to the community.  They created an economy and jobs.  Bill Gates is one of those top 4% earners who got an extension on his 3% tax cut by Obama last year.  He dared to state that at that top 4%, people are so rich they wouldn't even be able to tell if an extra 3% came off their taxes.  You'd think that if it would help the U.S. economy, which is in such dire straits now, those 4% would volunteer those taxes.

But no, the U.S. can't be allowed to deprive the 4% of their 3%.  They are thinking of cutting medicare, destroying programs that will help the unemployed and mothers on welfare be trained for new jobs, nutritious food from school cafeterias - but no, don't tax Paris Hilton the price of another Ferrari!  This is when people hate the rich.  When they grow rich and then forget all the little people whose hard work makes it possible for them to be rich.

Conrad Black is not a wealthy man who gained his wealth by producing something useful.  He is a predator - the kind of financier who buys a company, guts it, then resells it at a higher price than what he paid for it.  Mitt Romney is that kind of "businessman" too.  He belongs to the class of people who think those who have less are there to be plucked and skinned.  He doesn't just want his fair share, he wants everyone else's share too.  Your turn would come up soon enough.  He screwed his own investors. Of that he has been found guilty and those lawsuits are still ongoing.

But he showed some class in prison, in offering to help other fellow prisoners.  If he learns from that experience he may realize that giving something graciously can make you lots more friends, and supporters when you need them, than making all the money in the world.  Don't know if that would work with Barbara Amiel though.  She was miffed that pension fund managers had the audacity to think they should have some say in how Wall Street operates. As if her aristocratic state was above people who took care of working people's retirement funds.

I am now waiting for Garth Drabinsky to get his just desserts.  Screwing investors is hardly a thing to ignore.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Community Activity

alexander Mollison commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
" settings! "
9 hours ago
"lol wonder if I can get pension increased?"
11 hours ago
goldie080 commented on goldie080's group Environmental concerns
"Solar…"
11 hours ago
12 hours ago

© 2014   Part of the Zoomer Interactive Network.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

google-site-verification: googlef2bf84fe9dda65cb.html