Who would you trust more to prescribe medicine, your doctor or the phamacist? While your family physician may know what the health problem is, would he be more knowledgeable about the prescription medicine he is prescribing for you, or the pharmacist? I think i would trust the pharmacist opinion, over my family physicians, as he would know more about the prescription medicine than the physician.  I would be interested in your thoughts on this. 

Views: 160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To Redo   You said exactly what I said only in a different way. I agree that a Pharmacist is not qualified to diagnose a medical condition...however I still maintain that the Dr & the Pharmacist are important in the patient welfare and in an ideal world the Dr is "up-to-date" with all of the newer meds on the market today.Unfortunately because of patient loads and Dr shortages etc, the Dr get caught up treating patients and don't have the time to be as up-to-date as the Pharmacist Having said that, I also agree that the Pharmacist, is not qualified to diagnose a patient!

In no way do I suggest that a Pharmacist make a medical diagnosis, he/she is not qualified....conversely the the Dr is not as qualified as the Pharmacist when it comes to medications

After 30 plus in a hospital setting I have seen numerous changes, lab tests, medications etc...both the Dr and the Pharmacists do work closely together with one prime concern...THE PATIENT

The Dr & the Pharmacist in most cases work well together! 

The question as posed was "Who would you trust more to prescribe medicine, your doctor or the phamacist?". By definition, a pharmacist must make a diagnosis before he could offer any potential prescription. He is generally unaware of the particulars of your condition and the typical pharmacy dispensing counter is not an environment where he can acquaint himself with your particulars. Any 'prescribing' he might offer would, of necessity, be done in almost total ignorance of your condition.

Were the pharmacists to undertake any form of diagnosis and prescription, they would naturally demand the same consideration a MD would and they would be prone to the exact same failings (both real and perceived) that a MD is subject to. In addition, (in Canada at least) pharmacists are at a much higher risk of being tempted to 'push' a particular drug for monetary considerations.

Stan said:

To Redo   You said exactly what I said only in a different way. I agree that a Pharmacist is not qualified to diagnose a medical condition...however I still maintain that the Dr & the Pharmacist are important in the patient welfare and in an ideal world the Dr is "up-to-date" with all of the newer meds on the market today.Unfortunately because of patient loads and Dr shortages etc, the Dr get caught up treating patients and don't have the time to be as up-to-date as the Pharmacist Having said that, I also agree that the Pharmacist, is not qualified to diagnose a patient!

In no way do I suggest that a Pharmacist make a medical diagnosis, he/she is not qualified....conversely the the Dr is not as qualified as the Pharmacist when it comes to medications

After 30 plus in a hospital setting I have seen numerous changes, lab tests, medications etc...both the Dr and the Pharmacists do work closely together with one prime concern...THE PATIENT

The Dr & the Pharmacist in most cases work well together! 

If you would take the time to read my comments, I did not say that the Pharmacists should prescribe meds...my comment was that the Dr and Pharmacist should be working hand in hand for the good of the patient...the number one concern!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Community Activity

Linda Seccaspina commented on Linda Seccaspina's blog post Till MilkBone Do Us Part
" My friend Jennifer sent this when she walked her dog.. He is waiting for me to come home."
26 minutes ago
alexander Mollison commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
"Morning Arline glad you are back' "one" will be up soon"
37 minutes ago
Linda Seccaspina commented on Linda Seccaspina's blog post Till MilkBone Do Us Part
"LOL sheila... I just miss my friend Kevin... up early? Thanks"
50 minutes ago
Kevin Army commented on Linda Seccaspina's blog post Till MilkBone Do Us Part
"I'm sure he's missing you too right now. Nicely done!!"
58 minutes ago

© 2014   Part of the Zoomer Interactive Network.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

google-site-verification: googlef2bf84fe9dda65cb.html