Despite the fact that 60.4% of Canadian voters did not support Harper's party, he has now formed a majority govt. that can literally do whatever it wants in the next 4 years. He has said that he will govern on behalf of all Canadians. Easily said, but that must be confirmed.

We have seen the CON machine in action during the elections, successfully adapting Republican North strategies and tactics to win power. Therefore, the opposition party, the press, and the public should be vigilant in detecting and counteracting Republican North strategies and tactics while the CONs govern.

A partial list of watch outs:

1) cutting taxes that will mainly benefit the rich coupled with withderawing services for the less fortunate (i.e. deficit reduction should entail the sacrifice of everyone, not only to the unfair detriment of some segments of society);

2) de-fanging of regulations that will benefit big business to the detriment of society as a whole, and de-funding regulators and oversight bodies to render them inadequate;

3) neutering organized labour, especially public service unions;

4) tampering with electoral financing that will benefit the party with a base of very rich individuals and big business.

It is hoped that Harper will indeed govern on behalf of all Canadians, as he has said, and not only for his base. We should force him to stick to his word......this time.

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, it's good to see that someone will be paying attention for the next four years. I hope that many others will do the same. Unfortunately, it's a long and drawn out procedure but, the only way to rate a party is to have it rule with a majority.

44 south

To bad the Progressive Conservatives weren't still around.
It's not that more people voted for Harper. In fact less of the population voted for Conservatives this time. Supporters of the former Bloc and Liberals changed their vote to NDP and laughingly, Harper won by default!

Chuck; I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself!

And we can see the difficulty Chuck, you have in accepting the Conservative Majority government … yes, it is a bitter pill to swallow, and having to eat crow, & all washed down with sour grapes wine aka whine for you!!

Suck it up princess, LIEberals, & Bloc-heads are the loser as they always have been.  They were soundly defeated, booted out of their own ridings lol & left their parties with their tails between their legs. LOL!

Gee whiz, Yvonne!  The election is over!  The Conservatives are still in the "Republican-style attack ad mode"... I didn't think their followers were too!  lol

Not at all Yvonne.  It's just a fact that I pointed out.  I hope Harper leads well. He is merely lucky to have won by people changing their vote.  Our system of voting allows this to happen. If it was a true democracy, the one with the most overall votes would win and not by seats won.  This Majority is a record in that it is one with the lowest count of people voting for him.

Vigilance!  Let us hold Harper's govt accountable to all Canadians, not only his base, at all times. 

Don’t believe everything you think Chuck

A Majority win is a Majority won! 

Harper’s Conservatives won a majority and all your bad mouthing is NOT going to change it, so get over your preconceived self-importance!

It is time the Lieberals learned to be good losers, & congratulate the winners even if it kills you.  This attitude will garnish you more respect than all the derogatory words, and you are also saying all the Canadians who did vote for Harper, that their votes were insignificant.  Gee that really projects a warm appreciation towards them. And you wonder why the Libs were crushed in this Election!

Wow Yvonne.  What bad mouthing?  You sure have a chip on your shoulders! I don't believe in labeling people by their political voting... that is what Americans do... I've voted for all parties at one time or another, so I can't be called a Liberal. 

Why are you being so vicious?  This is a friendly forum for people to intermingle with their ideas... not for bashing people!

I accept your apology!

No one can receive large portions of money from Unions or Corporations anymore...haven't been able to for years. That election law was passed long ago.  Back then NDP were heavily "subsidized" by Unions at election time while Progressive Conservatives got tons of money from corporations.  Now no one does which is great and also such a huge difference from USA where the vote is always bought.

The voters actually voted less for Conservatives than last election so it was the changing of voting by supporters of Bloc and Liberals that got Harper the Majority. It was dissatisfaction by those persons and not the voters of Harper that turned the tide.

These two chart show what the actual percentage of vote was cast for each of the parties during the 2008 election and during the 2011 election. The Conservative vote actually went up and the total number of voters in this election also increased. Please check you figures before making erroneous comments. 

Overall Results

Overall Election Results
Party Elected Leading Total

Updated: Nov. 7, 2008, 5:00 PM EST

Federal Election Results

Updated: May. 3, 2011, 3:40 AM EDT

Overall Election Results
 CON 167 0 167
 NDP 102 0 102
 LIB 34 0 34
 BQ 4 0 4
 GRN 1 0 1
 IND 0 0 0
CON 143 0 143
LIB 77 0 77
BQ 49 0 49
NDP 37 0 37
IND 2 0 2
GRN 0 0 0
OTH 0 0 0

Chuck McCrossan said:
It's not that more people voted for Harper. In fact less of the population voted for Conservatives this time. Supporters of the former Bloc and Liberals changed their vote to NDP and laughingly, Harper won by default!

Not only was Chuck wrong about the number but he was wrong in his facts. There was not so much as a single ballot cast for Conservitives anywhere in Canada. There was no person by that name on any ballot. In addition the ONLY people who even had an opportunity to vote for Harper were the ones in his Electoral District.

In Canada, we do not get to vote for a political party nor do most of us get to vote for a PM. We get to vote to elect a Riding representative. That's the ONLY thing we get to vote FOR and we don't get to vote AGAINST anything. Just over 54% of the ridings elected a Conservative to represent them. 

Brandon said:

These two chart show what the actual percentage of vote was cast for each of the parties during the 2008 election and during the 2011 election. The Conservative vote actually went up and the total number of voters in this election also increased. Please check you figures before making erroneous comments. 

Overall Results

Overall Election Results

Updated: Nov. 7, 2008, 5:00 PM EST

Federal Election Results

Updated: May. 3, 2011, 3:40 AM EDT

Overall Election Results
 CON 167 0 167
 NDP 102 0 102
 LIB 34 0 34
 BQ 4 0 4
 GRN 1 0 1
 IND 0 0 0
CON 143 0 143
LIB 77 0 77
BQ 49 0 49
NDP 37 0 37
IND 2 0 2
GRN 0 0 0
OTH 0 0 0

Chuck McCrossan said:

As the Calgary Herald reports:

"Is Harper really more popular today than he was in previous elections? Yes, but surprisingly, not by that much.

In 2008, the Tories got 5.2 million votes, or 37.65 per cent of all ballots. On Monday, with voter turnout only slightly higher, the Tories got 5.8 million votes, which translates into just 39.6 per cent of the popular vote. Yet, he gained a disproportionately higher number of seats, picking up 24 more ridings. That gave the Conservatives 167 seats, well above what they needed for a majority."

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/decision-canada/Arab+Election+han...

Vigilance!  Keep Harper accountable to all Canadians, and not only to his base. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Community Activity

alexander Mollison commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
"lynneG  happy to pay it"
4 hours ago
"squats like you have not seen http://youtu.be/gpyYc9VckVs"
4 hours ago
"I tried but know joy think there is a form you can get so you do not pay anything.lynneG love my quinine make walking lot better."
4 hours ago
"lol my quinine costs me $28.00 a month its not covered under the old age pension plan"
4 hours ago

© 2014   Part of the Zoomer Interactive Network.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

google-site-verification: googlef2bf84fe9dda65cb.html