Has anyone else noticed the increase in annoying commercials in movie theatres before the movies begin.  The people attending the movies are held hostage to these commercials because one wants to get a good seat in the theatre and must sit through and endure what I clocked to be 20 minutes plus of commercials in the neighbourhood Cineplex theatre.  I think that we should start a movement to somewhat limit the amount of commercials that are forced upon us. I don't believe that we can realistically get them eliminated but we should be able to do something to limit them.  Maybe an idea would be to write to the advertisers to say that because they are imposing their messages on us we will not buy their products.  Any ideas or is everyone satisfied to sit through these awful commercials?

Views: 45

Replies to This Discussion

The last time ah went tuh the movies they wuz introdoocin color, ah can't remember any commercials though.... there wuz this gal with a tray selling ice cream and popcicles...would that be a commercial or an interval...or do commercials and intervals go together...except when they occur before the main feature starts?

Regarding seating, ah don't recall a problem. The seats in rows on a gradual incline were arranged in an offset manner so that you had a clear view between the two folks in front.

Now if these new fangled movie theatres have a different set up...that is the problem that needs tackling.....in mah opinion! 

I don't go to the movies that often any more. Not only the commercials, but the sound is far too loud in most. I buy the DVD when it comes out and it doesn't cost any more than going to the movies. But...

I get upset that there are a lot of previews and stuff on the DVDs! I bought the movie, not all this other stuff! Some give you the option, quickly, of skipping to the actual movie.

I agree far too many commericals (just like tv) and the sound was tooo loud and I will go to smaller theatres (seating for 50)only.

Marilyn Fraser said:

I don't go to the movies that often any more. Not only the commercials, but the sound is

liz said:

I agree far too many commericals (just like tv) and the sound was tooo loud and I will go to smaller theatres (seating for 50)only.

Marilyn Fraser said:

I don't go to the movies that often any more. Not only the commercials, but the sound is

Haven't been to a movie theater in years, however recently I bought a number of DVDs of older movies, the previews and various warnings (FBI and god knows what else) are driving me nuts, by the time I get to the movie, I almost forgot what I was going to watch.

Do you remember the good old days when it was illegal to have a commercial during the news.  I went to see the movie 'Salt',  the fast motion and the loud noise made me nausea.  Never again.  What about Blockbuster, there is no where to rent a movie within 10 km of me.  That's a lot of lost revenue isn't it?

I think this netflicks thing will work for city people with fiberoptic highspeed internet but here in the country I am stuck with wireless internet and every video I try to watch is jerky and buffers so much you can't watch it.

Commercial films are loud and full of ads because they are addressed to the young viewers addicted to noise and hyperbole to hold their short attention span, or no sell. As an older viewer, my recourse is invest on a good quality tv and watch, AMC [loud at times], TCM or buy DVD on various outlets. If you live in a rural community, you can ask the local library to do an inter library loan. The knowledge channel offers some very good quality DVD, a bit pricy, also BBC Canada, The collectibles, The teaching company 1-800-832-2412, TCM.com., Amazon. Of course there is always the shipping charges. TCM probably is the cheapest as some films cost just about 12$ @. there are a lot of classics which are not very loud, have great plots, and shows a milieu that is closer to our time frame [ Carousel, king and I]. Another sad fact is that we are losing the grand theaters in the urban areas due to lack of historic sense and a less thoughtful view of films as time killers instead of an educational experience on the human condition, to see how the other half of the world lives as it were.

Hasn't anyone "Everyone" heard of Micro Torrent?

Note the sound on most DVD's, Rental Movies, Etc is designed for 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 Surround sound. If you have this system attached to your TV of course it will sound loud. Switch your system to just stereo via your controls and it won't sound so loud.

As for TCM, If you go out and buy a TV tuner card for your PC, Install it and hook up your Cable to it you can record directly from the TV signal at the resolution of your choosing. But be warned that it can take up a lot of HDD (Hard Drive) Space.

I prefer to go to some movies that I am interested in seeing, because I would rather see the movie on the big screen, than on my TV or computer.  I usually grab 2-3 movies per month, depending on anything worthwhile seeing.

And yes I agree about those damn commercials … loud and annoying, but I guess it all has to do with the almighty $$$$. 

What I do is go to a movie during the week when there’s hardly anyone there, time it so I sit down about 5 minutes before the movie, and then I do not have to listen to the commercials and previews.

RSS

Members

Community Activity

alexander Mollison commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
"weekends kitty find the hidden "ONE" "
6 hours ago
alexander Mollison commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
"Fridays "ONE"S "
6 hours ago
GREGORY A HEENAN commented on Annette Tilden's group THE NEW LAUGH OUT LOUD
8 hours ago
GREGORY A HEENAN commented on Annette Tilden's group THE NEW LAUGH OUT LOUD
"Two hillbillies walk into a restaurant. While having a bite to eat, they talk about their moonshine operation. Suddenly, a woman at a nearby table, who is eatin...g a sandwich, begins to cough. After a minute or so, it becomes apparent that she is…"
9 hours ago

© 2014   Part of the Zoomer Interactive Network.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

google-site-verification: googlef2bf84fe9dda65cb.html