Today, Van Morrison is celebrating his 66th birthday.

You know his hits – from Brown Eyed Girl to Moondance – but here are a few things you might not have known about Van the Man:

1. Them and The Doors: Morrison was a member of the Northern Irish band Them from 1964 to 1966. In 1966, just before Morrison left the band, Them briefly toured in the US, and had considerable influence on a band they played with during their residency in LA: The Doors. The two Morrisons jammed together on ‘Gloria‘ on the final night at the Whisky a Go Go. “What a night”, recalls The Doors’ Ray Manzarek.

2. Morrison hated lip synchingAs evidenced by this 1967 performance on American Bandstand, it’s clear that Van would’ve preferred to be anywhere but on that soundstage. 

Reflecting upon the early days of his music career, Van recalls how the business “just put me in some awkward positions, because they were unreal – like lip-synching to the record on a television show. I can’t lip-synch, ’cause every time I do a song I do it differently. I just can’t sing any song the same way twice.”

3. Morrison was never paid for 'Brown Eyed Girl': The song, one of Morrison’s most recognizable, was given it’s distinct sound and radio-friendly pop touch (”Sha-la-la-lalalala”) by producer Bert Berns, owner of Bang Records. But because Morrison hastily signed a contract with Bang, he’s never (in his own words) received royalties for it.

Interested in learning more about Van The Man? Read the full, uncut version of this list — 7 Things You Didn't Know About Van Morrison — over at our Zoomer Radio website.

Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.

Tags: bang, belfast, brown, eyed, facts, girl, morrison, music, r&b, records, More…them, van

Views: 220

Replies to This Discussion

Original title for Brown Eyed Girl was "Brown Skinned Girl".  A title that worried the record company.  Another worry was the beautiful line "...Makin' love in the Green Grass, behind the stadium, with you.."  So an engineer edited a radio-friendly version of the song and switched Making love for a repeat of "skippin and a jumpin".  Sadly some stations are still using this mangled version.

RSS

Members

Community Activity

Glady Dixon commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
"Laura52  Behr is doing fine now.   He just finished ALL his supper.  Guiness isn't happy with him eating it all though.  :)"
20 minutes ago
alexander Mollison commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
" fingers crossed about sony even a higher voucher would help maybe  double but if they do that they could replace cheaper"
29 minutes ago
Glady Dixon commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
"Alex    Good for you.  I wouldn't accept the $200.00 voucher if they offered you something better.  Hang tight for a possible new set !"
34 minutes ago
alexander Mollison commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
""ONE"S for Wednesday all "
1 hour ago

© 2014   Part of the Zoomer Interactive Network.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

google-site-verification: googlef2bf84fe9dda65cb.html