It has become clear that 20 something is much more employable than 50 something in our current market trends. However, I will not give up.
I wonder sometimes why solid life exeperience can be ruled out by "words a minute" and "formulas in Excel." That being said the one value I hold on to is feeding my veracious appetite to learn.
All of those 50 plus out there who are currently looking for work there is someone in your corner who gets it.

Views: 62

Replies to This Discussion

I will turn 50 very soon and I haven't been on the work force for 25 years. Now that my kids are more settled i am thinking of finding a job. I'm hoping that you are right Veronica, that there is work out there and that I can be considered employable. At least I finished high school and am bilingual. That might be of influence. But you know deep down it's scary not knowing what it's going to be like in the work force.
Deborah Ann. from st-jerome,qc, canada
I think aging demographics and the non/availability of employees is going to be in favor of the 50+ crowd.
sometimes you have to a little volunteer work to get to know people who are
looking for help
Bonne
Hi, Thank goodness there is still volunteer work out there, for us Zoomers! as it is very hard to seem to get any other kind of work, once over 50. And, I agree, a great way to meet other people who are not able to find work elsewhere, because they are over 50 as well. My husband has worked at Dofasco now for over 33 years, and he is a qualified electrician. There came an opportunity for him to go up, in position there, but when push came to shove, they chose a much younger man, with hardly any experience at all, for this position, instead of my husband, who had 33 years experience there! Just an example of what us Zoomers go through, as we age, the preference in this work world seems to be now for much younger individuals, and as such, with less experience. Brenda

Barbara R.Lutz nicname Bonne said:
sometimes you have to a little volunteer work to get to know people who are
looking for help
Bonne
Hey Veronica...I hear ya!!
After working in arts management for twenty plus years, I went back to Humber College to gain some more skills in Fundraising and Volunteer Mgmt...like you, I'm stimulated to learn and develop my skills. I started my own company in 2005, just after I graduated from the Humber program, to work with clients that I wanted to work with...and had drips and drabs of future clients.

I'm a ADHD survivor from the education system of the 1970-80's and it's been tough for me at times being in the workforce. That's why I started my own company. I've written a book about all of these experiences called "Stirring My Soul to Sing-Overcoming Obstacles of ADHD" that will soon be published in the spring of 2009.

I've lots of positive friends, choral contacts and business community contacts, however I'm not overflowing in cash at the moment. I know that as I'm soon to be turning 49 that the next 10 years are going to be my best years ever! This keeps me going, keep me singing and keeps me humble...knowing that God is blessing me for all of my struggles to bless others who need a boost like I did.
Thank you to all who replied to my posting.

I am now working for a mid size company in downtown Toronto. We are currently looking for a retired person to organize & maintain our filing system. This would for someone who wants to be active and work within a very positve team & earn a bit of money. We are offering a few hours a day during the week. If anyone has any advice for specific agencis or knows of someone who might be interested please reply to this message.
Deborah Ann said:
I will turn 50 very soon and I haven't been on the work force for 25 years. Now that my kids are more settled i am thinking of finding a job. I'm hoping that you are right Veronica, that there is work out there and that I can be considered employable. At least I finished high school and am bilingual. That might be of influence. But you know deep down it's scary not knowing what it's going to be like in the work force.
Deborah Ann. from st-jerome,qc, canada
I am one of those 50 and looking for work. It is extremely difficult. What is the problem with this picture...Director of Marketing 80k...Director of Business Development (twice) 100k...Wisdom PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and I'm not needing Mat leave any time soon!).

Cheers!

Julia
:)
Julia have you thought of starting your own business and just sell yourself?? I am thinking of starting a maid service, which I have done before. Hope this is a help to you.Lorraine
I will be turning 50 next year and it's not a pretty picture. I've been unemployed for the past 3 years (though have done a freelance job here and there) whereas just 5 years ago I had my choice of any job I wanted. I too have loads of experience, worked in different areas and extremely versatile. I'm at the crossroads of why bother to look for work and perhaps start my own busines. Someone who's about 55 or 56 told me that things get better at 50. I don't know about that, plus I told him it's easier for a man than a woman. But I will try to stay optimistic.
OK, I'm 50 plus and not looking for work. At 50+ you have all the experience to make work for yourself. Don't sell yourself short. Take all your skills, and if you feel you don't have enough skills, you certainly have the resources to build a viable business for yourself. At 50+ you absolutely deserve to take control of your life and do what you want to do. Life large! Linda
Irene,
Be optimistic. Think about starting your own business. You have the skills and the experience (even if you think you don't). We are our worst enemies. Negative self-talk comes from years of conditioning. We are conditioned to think it's a man's world. In fact, it is a women's world. Women are nurturing and trusted...a women's business is a good business. Live large and be all you can be. Warm regards, Linda

Irene Astronauts said:
I will be turning 50 next year and it's not a pretty picture. I've been unemployed for the past 3 years (though have done a freelance job here and there) whereas just 5 years ago I had my choice of any job I wanted. I too have loads of experience, worked in different areas and extremely versatile. I'm at the crossroads of why bother to look for work and perhaps start my own busines. Someone who's about 55 or 56 told me that things get better at 50. I don't know about that, plus I told him it's easier for a man than a woman. But I will try to stay optimistic.

RSS

Members

Community Activity

alexander Mollison commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
" woke up with headache so got up to take asprin now its back to bed lol"
1 hour ago
alexander Mollison commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
"British Royals ‏@britishroyals 1h VIDEO: William, Kate & George arriving in Sydney (thanks, @RoyalKateDebate) #RoyalVisitAus https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/22685256/royal-couple-land-at-sydney-airport/ … View media"
1 hour ago
Jason Giecek commented on Linda Seccaspina's blog post Google Glass – How Badly Do You Want a Pair?
"I say Google will the cause of World War Three through Ten!!! :D"
6 hours ago
alexander Mollison commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
"another close up royals "
6 hours ago

© 2014   Part of the Zoomer Interactive Network.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

google-site-verification: googlef2bf84fe9dda65cb.html