Starting a discussion and one that continues is not easy. I'll try this one on you all. Whenever we see pictures of Jesus, he is pictured as having long hair and a beard. My first question is: Did Jesus have long hair?

Views: 16

Replies to This Discussion

Logically I would think He did. As did everyone else. At least that is what the artists assume, and why not? That he had a long and never-ending reserve of love is a little more important.
We can see by history books that during the Roman Empire, no one had long hair. It's a thousand years later that artists painted Jesus with long hair because during that time, kings and magistrates wore wigs.

Michael Vallins said:
Logically I would think He did. As did everyone else. At least that is what the artists assume, and why not? That he had a long and never-ending reserve of love is a little more important.
Hi Ed.

It is highly doubtful Jesus had long hair as a regular practice of life. I believe the only time a Jewish male could not cut his hair was if he took the vow of the Nazarite and that was temporary. Jesus was a typical Jewish male. We are told he wasn't even particularly handsome but average looking. Is 53:2. He did physical labor, thus it would also appear for safety sake , he would keep His hair short. Historically speaking, we can find information on the dress code of the Jewish nation, but even the Bible speaks of the long hair situation in I Cor 11:14. Artists will alwalys take "poetic license" especially painting an historical figure like Jesus living at a time when pictures where not easy to save or find in the first place.

Lonny "Ruffeon"
Hello Lonny,

Artists that take "poetic license" have convinced half of the planet that Jesus had long hair. Even scientists argue over the Shroud of Turin trying to prove to us that Jesus was wrapped in it. Maybe it's not important if he did or not because he came to deliver a message but what gets me is that when we see someone on the street with long hair and beard, people automatically tend to say "Oh look, he looks like Jesus". If religions would teach the truth and at least change this part, some would soon realize not to pray to a picture on the wall.
Hi Ed,

Read I Cor 11: 2 -16 especially vs 13. It says by nature alone we are taught that man should have short hair. With that it mind no matter what the artists did or said, Jesus usually had short hair unless he was under the vow of a Nazarite which was unlikely as he drank wine at the Last Supper when he instituted the Lord's Supper.

Frankly, when I see a guy on the street with long hair, I think he looks like a girl not Jesus! I am disturbed by the rebellious attituded that allowed that hair to grow and be so blantly against God! Of course , that's just me.
Long hair can be a nuisance, and depending upon the diseases of the day, men may have chosen to cut it short, I don't know. However, here is an interesting commentary on the social situation at the time, which I just came across fo interest's sake. I liked it and you may too.

Kevin
OOPs my goof, here is my attachment

Long hair can be a nuisance, and depending upon the diseases of the day, men may have chosen to cut it short, I don't know. However, here is an interesting commentary on the social situation at the time, which I just came across fo interest's sake. I liked it and you may too.
http://www.melbourneunitarian.org.au/node/79
Kevin
I Cor 11:14 in the Bible is interesting as it says "Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him?" From this alone we can know Jesus did not have long hair as the artists showed Him. Artists made mistakes. It's as simple as that and they copied from each other! They didn't read the Bible. It wasn't available to them at that time. We also know women wore their hair longer as the Bible says it too. verse 15. " But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her, for her hair is given to her for a covering."

Have you ever walked behind someone and mistaken their gender because of their hair? Pretty bad isn't it?

As for the article. I honestly don't believe Jesus was into the political scene as much as this man seems to think He was. He was into sin and forgiveness of same as His primary target, not the physical condtion of man so much as the spiritual condition of man even though He healed man. That was to prove He was from God and was God.

RSS

Members

Community Activity

alexander Mollison commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
"From the little bird!! "
4 hours ago
Glady Dixon commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
"Laura52   You have a terrific supper and great night too. Have a nice evening all.  Will chat with you in the early p.m. tomorrow. :)"
7 hours ago
alexander Mollison commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
"all have a good night its feets up time "
7 hours ago
Glady Dixon commented on alexander Mollison's group The Kitties
"Barb    Glad you and Sam were able to sit outside for awhile and enjoy it.  Bagel morning was great as usual.  Linda Parr   Hope you enjoy having Brady today. "
7 hours ago

© 2014   Part of the Zoomer Interactive Network.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

google-site-verification: googlef2bf84fe9dda65cb.html